Some people aren’t good at job interviews. I’m one of those people. I see job interviews as first dates: putting on a mask and looking for a long-term relationship by saying what the other person wants to hear for an hour. Playing the game.
Ever since high school, I’ve been told to play the game, to get involved. The end goal of this, they said, was to have something to put on your college application and your resume. I never liked the idea of doing something or joining anything for the sole purpose of padding my resume. I didn’t play the game, but I worked hard and did what I wanted, and I still got into UW-Madison. I’ll still get the job I want. Eventually.
Here’s what I propose. Call it “Free Freelancing.” Give me work to do, for free, and see what I’m capable of. If I’m going to be writing copy, give me a product and a target market and let me work something out. Give me a problem and I’ll solve it, or at least try. If you like my work, give me more work. If that work is what you’re looking for, we can talk long-term. It’s cost-effective, it’s risk-free, and I imagine it’s a better predictor of future success than an interview. No games, no embellishing, no masks. If formal interviews are first dates, this is having coffee with someone you kinda might be into.
If it sounds like I’m condemning people for playing the game, I’m not. I’m just looking for a job on terms that are more attractive for me.
- RT @sepinwall: McConaughey’s speech praised God and family. Very un-Rust Cohle. But now he’s talking about time travel, and it all makes se… 1 week ago
- RT @woodlandalyssa: Pretty sure that if Heaven exists, this is what it looks like: http://t.co/NxWYxWSF3X 3 weeks ago
- RT @surelyyoujesst: Things more American than America: American cheese, Americanos, American Samoa. Equally American: Canada, Mexico, Venez… 1 month ago
- Is there anything more American than America? “@mindykaling: Llewyn Davis would've hated that ad so much” 1 month ago
- RT @wonjinkyu: Sad fox, empathic bear: Delightful animation by @theRSAorg brings to life Dr. Brene Brown’s @TedTalk on vulnerability http:/… 1 month ago