Some people aren’t good at job interviews. I’m one of those people. I see job interviews as first dates: putting on a mask and looking for a long-term relationship by saying what the other person wants to hear for an hour. Playing the game.
Ever since high school, I’ve been told to play the game, to get involved. The end goal of this, they said, was to have something to put on your college application and your resume. I never liked the idea of doing something or joining anything for the sole purpose of padding my resume. I didn’t play the game, but I worked hard and did what I wanted, and I still got into UW-Madison. I’ll still get the job I want. Eventually.
Here’s what I propose. Call it “Free Freelancing.” Give me work to do, for free, and see what I’m capable of. If I’m going to be writing copy, give me a product and a target market and let me work something out. Give me a problem and I’ll solve it, or at least try. If you like my work, give me more work. If that work is what you’re looking for, we can talk long-term. It’s cost-effective, it’s risk-free, and I imagine it’s a better predictor of future success than an interview. No games, no embellishing, no masks. If formal interviews are first dates, this is having coffee with someone you kinda might be into.
If it sounds like I’m condemning people for playing the game, I’m not. I’m just looking for a job on terms that are more attractive for me.
- RT @rosiesiman: These 'Breaking Bad' Engagement Photos Are 99.1% Pure Adorable on.mash.to/18iNqh6 2 days ago
- RT @brianstelter: Right on the heels of the @60Minutes broadcast, Amazon has published this YouTube video showing a drone delivery: http://… 3 days ago
- RT @WarmingGlow: Here Are Some New ‘Parks And Recreation’ Clips To Make Up For The Last Three Weeks bit.ly/1dpsXe2 3 weeks ago
- RT @DanRubenstein: Twenty years of Conan remotes in one place? I'm gonna need a few minutes … bit.ly/19QakPE 1 month ago
- RT @TheCurrent: The Head and the Heart visited Mac Wilson today between shows at @FirstAvenue. Find the in-studio session here: http://t.co… 1 month ago